There are basically two types of exhaust systems. One is the flange type where the component ends are attached with bolts and a gasket in−between. The other exhaust system is the slip joint type. These components slip into one another using clamps to retain them together.
To replace the 1999 Ford Explorer exhaust system, do the following:
- Raise and support the vehicle safely, as necessary for access. Remember that some longer exhaust pipes may be difficult to wrestle out from under the vehicle if it is not supported high enough.
- If you haven’t already, apply a generous amount of penetrating oil or solvent to any rusted fasteners.
- On flange joints, carefully loosen and remove the retainers at the flange. If bolts or nuts are difficult to break loose, apply more penetrating liquid and give it some additional time to set. If the fasteners still will not come loose an impact driver may be necessary to jar it loose (and keep the fastener from breaking).
- On slip joint components, remove the mounting U−bolts from around the exhaust pipe you are extracting from the vehicle. Don’t be surprised if the U−bolts break while removing the nuts.
- Loosen the exhaust pipe from any mounting brackets retaining it to the floor pan and separate the components. Slight twisting and turning may be required to remove the component completely from the vehicle. You may need to tap on the component with a rubber mallet to loosen it. If all else fails,
use a hacksaw to separate the parts. An oxy−acetylene cutting torch may be faster but the sparks are DANGEROUS near the fuel tank, and at the very least, accidents could happen, resulting in damage to the under−vehicle parts, not to mention yourself.
- When installing exhaust components, you should loosely position all components before tightening any of the joints. Once you are certain that the system is run correctly, begin tightening the fasteners at the front of the vehicle and work your way back.
- 1999 ford explorer exhaust system diagram,HOW TO CHANGE AN EXHAUST SYSTEM ON A FORD EXPLORER,1999 ford explorer 5 0 exhaust,1999 ford explorer sport exhaust system,changing exhaust pipe on 1999 ford exploryer,